Technology transfer is critical in an effective global response to the climate change challenge, since technology is the source of greenhouse gases (GHGs) emissions. Achieving substantial reduction of GHGs requires innovation to transform current technologies into cleaner and climate-resilient technologies. Technology innovation is thus the foundation for sustainable economic development for all countries.
They include know-how, goods and services, and equipment, as well as organizational and managerial procedures. Priority research areas include amongst others:
- energy efficiency – market transformation for energy efficiency in industry and buildings;
- renewable energy technologies;
- emerging, low-carbon, energy-generating technologies;
- cost-effective short-term response measures; and
- sustainable low carbon transport and urban systems.